Reviews for Young Adult Fantasy Novels
For Emilie and the Hollow World
- "A rollicking adventure yarn with plenty of heart - Emilie & the Hollow World shouldn't be missed."
- -USA Today bestselling author Ann Aguirre
- Emilie is the best kind of adventurer -- curious, courageous, stubborn, resourceful, and quick to make friends. I can't wait to see where she goes exploring next.
- -Sharon Shinn
- Martha Wells' Emilie and the Hollow World is a lovely little adventure story that brings a modern sensibility to a classic pulp trope, re-enlivening and re-envisioning it for a contemporary audience. The hollow world, the accidental stowaway, steamships, airships, the gentleman or gentlewoman adventurer-these are elements that would be at home in a story told in the thirties. The clever and competent young heroine on the other hand-- Well that's another story entirely, and one that Martha Wells handles beautifully. Unlike those thirties pulps, this a book you wouldn't be embarrassed to give a thirteen year old soccer player who can't see any reason she won't grow up to be a physicist and the next president of the United States. Deft writing and consummate storytelling make a classic story fresh again for a new audience. All in all, Emilie and the Hollow World is a ripping yarn for a modern audience.
- -Kelly McCullough, author of the WebMage and Fallen Blade series as well as the forthcoming YA School For Sidekicks: The Totally Secret Origin of Foxman Jr.
- A swashbuckling escape for avid readers that trades buttoned-up boundaries for unbridled adventure.
- -Kirkus Reviews (starred review)
- "Wells has struck pure gold with this exciting and elaborate story that has no limits on its imagination--it perpetually surprises and entertains and keeps the reader guessing. Filled with warmth and danger and plenty of suspense, Emilie and the Hollow World is such a good, honest, real adventure that just. . . hits the spot. It's just so good."
- -Jet Black Ink
- "Martha Wells introduces the newest fearless heroine in teen literature: Emilie. Wells takes readers on an adventure that braves a new world and rivals the Journey to the Center of the Earth!"
-Lovey Dovey Books
- "If you're looking for a fun YA adventure with a lovely, strong female protagonist, Emilie and the Hollow World is the book for you."
- -A Fantastical Librarian
- "This book is definitely a good choice for younger readers, especially female ones, who a geeky parent is looking to introduce the wonders of genre reading."
- -Paul Weimer, SF Signal
- Emilie and the Hollow World is one of the best and most entertaining YA books I've ever read, because it's a charming old-fashioned adventure book.
- "Read it. Give it to your local twelve-year-olds. It's made of win."
- -Liz Bourke, Sleeps With Monsters
[ YA Fantasy Novels
|Emilie & the Hollow World
|Emilie & the Sky World
| Reviews ]
| About the Author
| Contact/Agent Information
| Buy Books Online
| Live Journal Blog ]